Vaginal yeast infections are more common than you would think. It is estimated that 3 in 4 women worldwide are infected with thrush at some time, and one-third of them have a recurring infection at least once a year.
Luckily, preventing the infection is simple. Here are ten easy-to-follow lifestyle hacks to prevent vaginal thrush.
- Keep the groin area dry by wearing cotton underwear instead of nylon or synthetic materials.
- Wear loose clothing such as skirts or baggy trousers. Avoid tights, especially on warm days.
- Prefer showers and cool baths over soaking in a hot tub.
- Fragrances and perfumes can inflame the vaginal area. Avoid scented soaps, bubble baths, or bath additives that include fragrances.
- Introduce probiotics into your diet. The easiest way to boost your gut flora is by consuming fresh bioactive yogurt regularly. Good bacteria block the growth of bacteria that causes candida.
- A simple and easy hack to avoid vaginal thrush is ensuring good hygiene after using the toilet. Always wipe from front to back, as it will prevent any candida from the bowel from potentially enter in the vagina.
- If you have diabetes, maintain strict control of your blood sugar levels.
- Excessive sugar intake can increase your risk of vaginal yeast infections. Reduce your sugar intake; it’s good for your vaginal health and overall well-being.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Scientific research suggests that excessive alcohol consumption can increase your risk of several diseases, including candidiasis (vaginal yeast infection).
- If necessary, use a vaginal lubricant during intercourse or sexual activities. Any damage to the vaginal tissues can increase the risk of vaginal thrush.
Remember, prevention is better than treatment. Your well-being depends on your lifestyle choices. Be in charge of your health, and stay healthy and happy!