How to Perform a 24-Hour Urine Protein Test at Home
If your doctor orders a 24-hour urine protein test, you can usually complete it at home. You'll receive several sample containers to collect your urine. Be sure to follow all of your doctor's instructions carefully. The collection period usually starts with the second urination of the day and continues for 24 hours. You'll need to keep the collected urine in a cool place until you deliver it to your doctor or lab. 
For accurate results, do the following: 
- Collect every urine within the 24-hour window.
- Make sure to collect the full sample with each urination.
- Stop collecting urine at exactly 24 hours.
- Follow your doctor's instructions regarding what foods and drinks to avoid and how much to exercise.
- Keep the urine sample refrigerated or on ice during the entire collection period.
24-Hour Urine Protein Test Results
Your doctor will contact you with the results of the test. The 24-hour urine protein normal range is under 100 milligrams of protein per day.  If your results are above normal, your doctor may order more tests to find or confirm a diagnosis. Be sure to complete all testing and follow up with your doctor as necessary.