How To Treat Dog UTIs at Home
Home remedies for UTI in dogs include several possibilities, as follows.
The most popular natural remedies for UTI in dogs are :
- Cranberry The flavonoids in cranberries can stimulate your dog’s immune system. Cranberry supplements also contain D-mannose, which keeps bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract and bladder.
- Parsley leaf. It has antiseptic properties and promotes urinary production.
- Marshmallow root. It soothes inflammation and acts as a barrier between the urinary tract lining and bacteria.
- Couch grass. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, so it can relieve UTI symptoms.
- Apple cider vinegar. Raw, organic apple cider vinegar can lower your dog’s urinary pH, which helps to kill pathogenic organisms in the urinary tract.
Introduce more fruits and vegetables into your dog’s diet, but avoid spinach, asparagus, tomatoes, raw carrots, and dairy products, as they can worsen UTI symptoms .
You can also start your dog on commercially available UTI-specific dog foods.
Dog UTI treatment over the counter usually involves antibiotics, which can cure bacterial infections. You can get antibiotics without a vet prescription; however, they may not be readily available in all countries due to regulations. It is essential to consult a vet before administering any antibiotic to your pet. The vet will identify the severity of the disease and the type of bacteria causing the infection. Based on these findings, an antibiotic specific to your dog's condition will be prescribed.
You may also give your dog vitamin B supplements, which can relieve UTI symptoms .
Increased Water Consumption
Drinking more water can flush out the bacteria in your dog’s urinary system. It will also keep them more hydrated, which can minimize the health concerns related to dehydration and prevent the development of stones .
Finally, your dog needs to get sufficient rest and avoid stressful stimuli in order to recover quickly.
Some tips on how to prevent UTI in dogs include:
- encouraging them to drink more water,
- giving them probiotics and other nutritional supplements,
- letting them out to pee regularly, and maintaining your dog’s hygiene .
Try Petnox for Detecting Dog UTIs
If you’re looking for a dog UTI test at home, we recommend Petnox-10, which are specially designed urinary test strips for veterinary use. These dog UTI test strips come with detailed instructions and are simple and effective to use.
For more helpful information on how to effectively monitor and care for your furry friends, visit our blog section on pet health.